Sunday 20 September 2015

National Diversity Awards 2015


National Diversity Awards 2015 - Liverpool Anglican Cathedral - Lifetime Achiever Award
I would like to sincerely thank all the people that nominated me, the people who took time out to vote for me and the people who gave up their time to record a video of their support for me.  Although I didn't win this coveted award this year, it was a huge honour to be even shortlisted for this category which measures an individual's achievements over their lifetime and not just a single incident or a short time span.

The event was awesome and the way it was put together was breathtaking. When we walked into the cathedral (the old Gothic one which dominates the Liverpool skyline) we were dumbstruck with the beauty of the place - and the fabulous atmosphere which was generated.  I was overwhelmed and deeply honoured to be in such prestigious company (but I have had feedback from several people who were on our table saying that they felt honoured to be in my company - which I find difficult to believe as I am just a wee small cog in a very large wheel).

What I was left with however, was the fact that if everybody valued and believed in equality and diversity like everybody there did, there would be no more wars, no more famine and the world would be an infinitely better place to live. Maybe it is time for our politicians to grow up and start believing in this and put aside their petty, ideological squabbles and worked for the people of this planet instead of themselves or their friends.

My grateful thanks to the organisers of this event - I personally found it profoundly moving and deeply inspirational - a wonderful tribute to the many individuals who give up a major part of their lives (very often unpaid) for the betterment of the lives of other people. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. As all comments are moderated, it will appear in the blog once it has been approved. Any attempts to spam this blog with adverts will be removed and blocked.
Thank you for your patience -- Carol